Thursday, May 8, 2014

Day 8 of the Camino - Dedicated to my Compadres and godchildren.

Today is day 8 of the Camino. Our destination for the day was Santo Domingo de la Calzada. I dedicated my walk and prayers today for all my compadres and godchildren. I'm very grateful for their love and support and the opportunity to be a part of their families.

The walk today, although shorter than the previous two days (13 miles) was difficult due to the blisters on our feet. Despite the pain and hot sun we made it to Santo Domingo de la Calzada. 

I spent most of the day walking with my sister Janice. We continued our reminiscing of our childhood days. We also prayed the rosary together. Padre Benjamin walked on ahead of us (he has a faster pace even with blisters) and my brother-in-law Peter rode with our guide, 
David, in his car. Peter's feet have HUGE blisters and he hasn't been able to walk the Camino for two days. He's hoping to start walking again tomorrow.

As I walked the Camino today, I began to question myself as to why I chose to make this journey in the hot sun and with blisters on my feet? At one point I literally wanted to quit. Why would someone want to endure physical pain, climb mountains, walk down steep hills, get sunburned and fight off gnats. It seemed ridiculous. But something inside me kept pushing me forward. I don't know what it is that God wants to teach or reveal to me with this walk, but I must keep marching forward with an open mind and heart. I pray that tomorrow will bring me a rested body and renewed strength. 

I know that all of us from time to time go through tough situations and often can become discouraged. We often feel like giving up because the anxiety and fear seem so great. Whenever we feel this way may we turn to the words of Holy Scripture listed below and be encouraged to continue the journey.

"My grace is sufficient for you, for power is made perfect in weakness." 2 Cor. 12:9

"Therefore, I am content with weaknesses, insults, hardships, persecutions, and constraints for the sake of Christ; for when I am weak, then I  am strong." 2 Cor. 12:10

"I have the strength for everything through Christ who empowers me." Phil. 4:13

Good night and God bless!


Picture of a marker pointing the direction for us to follow.

Picture of a mountain with the house being built right beside it.

Pretty flowers.

Wheat field with mountains in the background.

Another marker pointing us in the right direction.

A rose bush growing out of the sidewalk in one of the small towns that we passed through.

A monument on the Camino.

One of many waterfalls on the Camino.

Bales of hay.


No comments:

Post a Comment