Wednesday, May 7, 2014

Day 7 of the Camino - Dedicated to all the people who have been hurt by my words or actions or lack thereof.

Today is day seven of the Camino. One week down, five more to go! Our destination today was the town of Nájera. An 18.6 mile walk. That's right, I said 18.6 miles. I'm exhausted to say the least. Three of us have blisters: Peter [my brother-in-law], Padre Benjamin & myself. My sister Janice is blister free, and I hope she stays that way because walking long distances with blisters is quite painful and annoying. Did I also mention that gnats are annoying, too? They sure are! I don't know how many of those little creatures we all inhaled and swallowed. Yuk!

Arriving into Nájera we bought some plastic containers to soak our feet in with hot water and Epsom salt. We also went to a pharmacy and loaded up on Compeed, a cushioned band aid with medication that prevents infection and takes pressure off the blister when one is walking. I just hope and pray that these are the last of the blisters and that they heal quickly. 

Today my thoughts and prayers focused on all the people whom I have hurt over the years by my words and/or actions or lack thereof. 

It's hard to look back at one's life and admit one's faults. Most of us find it difficult to admit when we are wrong and many of us find it difficult to say I'm sorry. Adam and Eve are a prime example of people not willing to take responsibility for their actions. We are no different from them. Scripture says, "Do unto others whatever you would have them do to you" (Mt. 7:12). How many times have we heard these words? Although we want others to treat us with respect, kindness, forgiveness, truth, justice, etc., we still find it difficult to treat them in that same manner.

If we are honest with ourselves, all of us at one time or another have failed in showing charity toward others. We've been unkind, gossiped, spoken ill of others, have been disrespectful, judged, condemned, held onto grudges, manipulated people and situations, lacked compassion, belittled others, and list goes on and on. 

I spent time today recalling many of the people whom I have hurt over the years. Although I feel like I have made amends with most of them, I asked God to bring healing and peace to those who still carry hurt and resentment because of me. I also prayed that I might be able to learn from my past mistakes and in the future be able to remove all pride that keeps me from admiting my errors and that I be quick to apologize and seek out reconciliation with those whom I have hurt.

My sister Janice shared a story with me yesterday that took place when I was a young boy. She states that I was in the bathroom taking a shower. She said that I was in and out of the the shower within 5 minutes, so she wondered if I had used soap.  When she asked me if I used soap I responded by saying, "No, because I used it the night before."

The reason I share this story is that many times we aren't willing to wash ourselves clean of the stains that we have created by being ugly toward others. We aren't always willing to admit our mistakes and because of this we often remain unclean. I hope and pray that together we can begin the process to heal ourselves and others by seeking out reconciliation with those whom we have hurt.

Who are the people in your life that you are at odds with? How do you see yourself making amends with them? What is keeping you from reconciling with them? Grab a bar of soap and let the healing process begin! 


Crosses made by pilgrims that are attached to a chain linked fence that is about 1 mile long.

Ruins of an old pilgrims hospital.

Picture of the retablo inside of the Church at Navarrete, Spain

Inside of the Church at Navarrete, Spain

Inside of the Church at Navarrete, Spain

Retablo of St. Joseph inside the church at Navarrete, Spain

Inside the Church at Navarrete, Spain

Inside the Church at Navarrete, Spain

Camino Monument 

Camino monument made by pilgrims.


No comments:

Post a Comment